Sunday, September 27, 2009

Don't study yourself quiet 1

“I see and I will remember. I listen and I will forget. I do and I will understand.” These are words from Confucius. His quote highlighted that we will experience with more intensity, when we do it actively.

Everywhere around us are mysteries, secrets and knowledge. But we cannot understand their true value when we try to explain them with only words. To learn and to understand we must experience and feel/touch them; with our own skin, hands, feet and feelings. Human can not learn the basics of life, in trying to get the best education, to go to every lecture (who are inside a room) or learn from the most new technical median. Of course we learn from these things and they help us a lot, but the danger is that we forget to learn actively through our own experiences. And this becomes more and more apparent in the present:

- Challenges are minized from controls and curriculars

- Entire architectures are made of concrete and cemented

- People gain experiences second hand

- Simulatedly created playgrounds

- Interceptions, controls and monitoring from adults

-


2 comments:

  1. When I first read your post, I read the title as, "Don't Study Yourself Quiet." I missed the number 1. Now, I'm wondering, is it a warning not to study yourself? At first I was thinking about a warning not to spend too much time studying, as it will reduce your voice to quietness, rather than one who participates. Hmmm...We need to do more than think, plan, study, and discuss. We need action. We need to learn from this action. Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree..When I took chemistry in high school we were required to take 12 labs to gain practical knowledge and apply what we were learning, but my teacher thought it would be useful to skip out on "some" of the labs and read more about concepts she wanted us to grasp...

    To cut a long story short we ended up only doing 3 labs out of the 12

    ReplyDelete